An alternative to a burger or hot dog.
Portabella Mushrooms with Korean Barbecue Marinade
Food and Wine Magazine
- 1. 1/2 small onion, halved
- 2. 1/2 Asian pear, cored and quartered
- 3. 1 small kiwi, peeled and quartered
- 4. 8 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 5. 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 6. 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 7. 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8. 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 9. 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 10. 1 1/2 cups water
- 11. 8 to 10 large portabella mushrooms
IN A BLENDER, PUREE ALL OF THE INGREDIENTS UNTIL SMOOTH.
Scrape the gills out of the mushrooms and clean the caps with a slightly damp cloth. Do not run under water! Place in a large glass container with marinade. marinate for at least 3 hours.
Grill on an oiled grill for about 3 minutes a side. Depends on the thickness of the mushrooms. They should still be firm and moist.
Serve on buns or eat like a steak.
Sally’s notes: You can make this recipe ahead and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Mo really liked these. His biggest complaint was that I did not make enough. You can also try this marinade on meats.