Simple, light and delicious.
Tuscan Chicken with Tomato-Basil Relish
Recipe courtesy Linda Gassenheimer, More Low-Carb Meals in Minutes
• 1/2 cup diced plum tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons diced red onion
• 1/4 cup sliced, drained sweet pimientos
• 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• Olive oil spray
Mix tomatoes, onions, sweet pimientos, and basil together in a small bowl. Add vinegar and toss to mix. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
Place chicken between 2 pieces of waxed paper or aluminum foil and flatten with a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet to 1/2-inch thick. Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat and spray with olive oil spray. Add chicken and sauté 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle salt and pepper, to taste, on the cooked sides. Divide between 2 dinner plates and spoon the tomato relish on top.
Sally’s Notes: Instead of pounding out the breasts I used a sharp knife and slit the breast, opening it like a book. You could also try roasted red peppers instead of pimientos. Don’t skip the fresh basil!