Try this out this 4th of July.
- GRILLED WATERMELON AND SHRIMP
- CAT CORA / COASTAL LIVING MAGAZINE
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped
- 3 cilantro sprigs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pound large shrimp, tails on, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small seedless watermelon with rind on, halved and sliced
- 1 lime, halved
- Garnish: sliced green onion, toasted unsweetened coconut
- 1. Preheat grill to high heat (400° to 450°).
- 2. Combine sugar and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Transfer 1 1/2 cups syrup to a bowl; set aside.
- 3. Add bell peppers and next 3 ingredients to remaining syrup in saucepan. Simmer over medium heat 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is syrupy and peppers are tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, combine shrimp, 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Grill shrimp 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through; set aside.
- 5. Brush each side of watermelon with reserved syrup and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill 1 minute on each side.
- 6. Arrange watermelon and shrimp on serving plates, squeeze lime over watermelon and shrimp, and top with pepper marmalade. Garnish, if desired.
I know this recipe sound a little out there but it is really good. I did find it to be a little on the sweet side for my taste. Mo loved it. The next time I make this I am not going to brush the watermelon with syrup, just the oil. I will also make about half the amount of syrup. Otherwise, great dish!