Fresh, crisp, healthy and delicious.
TURKEY LETTUCE CUPS
GIADA DE LAURENTILS
WOMEN’S HEALTH MAGAZINE
1/3 cup fresh lime juice (from about 5 limes)
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (from about 1 large lemon)
2 Tbsp Thai fish sauce
2 Tbsp honey
Tbsp canola oil
1/2 red onion diced
3 small shallots, thinly sliced
1 piece lemongrass (4 inches long), minced (about 1/4 cup)
1 Thai or Serrano chili, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 lb 99% fat-free ground turkey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
1. In a bowl, whisk lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce, and honey.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, shallots, lemongrass, and chili. Cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
3. Add turkey. Season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat and vegetables are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the dressing to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add mint. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Spoon turkey mix onto lettuce leaves.
I really liked the freshness of the recipe, the lemon, limes and mint! That being said I dialed down the amount of citrus juice way down and I omitted the lemon grass. You can always add more juice at the end if you need it.
I only used one lime and one lemon and the zest of one lemon. Have fun with this and add ingredients you may have. Green onions instead of shallots, jalapeño peppers, water chestnuts.
I served with hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sriracha on the side.