Kicked Up Tuna Melt*
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, The Food Network
• 4 (6-ounce) cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
• 1/2 cup kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, pitted/minced
• 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
• 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon capers, drained
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 slices rustic white bread, or other dense white bread
• 2 medium tomatoes, sliced, or 8 tomato slices
Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler.
Combine the tuna, olives, mayonnaise, red onion, capers, black pepper, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until well mixed.
Arrange the bread slices on a work surface. Lightly spread each slice of bread with additional mayonnaise and top with 2 tomato slices each. Divide the tuna salad evenly among the 4 bread slices over the tomatoes. Top the tuna salad with slices of provolone.
Place sandwiches on a sheet tray and place under broiler. Cook until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Sally’s Notes: I made this without tomato slices for Mo. I also used green olives because I like them better than black olives. TA gave me some great bread from Bagel Boys that I used. This is a very quick and easy meal that your family will love. It's fun to change it up too, add some picked peppers for instance or hot sauce. Comments: firstname.lastname@example.org